Monday, November 06, 2006

Had another busy weekend. Friday night, Trish invited me to dinner at Bari's and then a poetry reading at Art Six. Her poetry teacher was reading. We got there kind of late but were able to hear her teacher read her story. We both really enjoyed it. It was funny and sad at the same time. She was a good speaker/reader.

One of Trish's fellow students and one of her friends came along, too. Trish and I both felt really old around the young 'uns.

Saturday I taught a workshop. I had two students and then Cathy came by during the class to do some work, too. I was still a little tired from the virus I had, so I was probably more subdued than I normally am, but we had fun.

Then Saturday night I drove to Dallas to meet my friend Jean. We were in grad school together and I hadn't seen her in quite a while. She ended up quitting the MFA program and getting a teaching degree. So she's teaching elementary school art now. She works at 2 schools - one 3 days a week and the other 2 days. They work her to death. Poor thing.

Anyway, we met at Mockingbird Station and ate at some fancy schmancy sushi place. The sushi was good but expensive. We ordered hot tea and they brought us each a mug of tea. When we got the bill, I noticed that they had charged us 3 dollars each for the tea! Yikes.

Then we went to the 500X because my friend Nancy had work in the show there. We didn't stay too long. I should have stayed and schmoozed, but I didn't feel like it.

So we went to the Cheesecake Factory near North Park for dessert. Actually, I had soup and Jean had a sandwich - we were still hungry after our expensive sushi! Then we got some chocolate cake that was too rich and big to finish. It was yummy, though.

Yesterday I slept late and went to my studio for a while. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get everything packed up and then sent off to Reno for my show. I need to ship it out around Thanksgiving.

Last night I watched an interesting movie called Brick. It was sort of Dashiell Hammett Goes to High School. It was hard to follow, much like The Maltese Falcon (I've seen that movie so many times and I still have no idea what happens). It was fun to see the noir formula applied to the high school setting, though. I liked it.

I got a call from the doctor's office today - turns out I didn't have the flu after all. So much for all that flu medication I took. I wish they had been able to get the results just a little faster...

Did I already post this link? Brian Atene's audition tape for Full Metal Jacket...

And the "real" Brian Atene...

No comments: