Sunday, August 27, 2006

One of Lindia's pieces from this weekend's workshop. She used a printout of a photograph of a lake and put wax over it and around it. I think it came out quite nice.

Trish and I went to dinner at The Green House. I only had the southwestern shrimp cocktail. Not too bad, except for the tortilla chips. I think I deserved a few chips.

We enjoyed the Iron Man Theatre at the high school. It's pretty amazing that they learn so many lines in such a short amount of time. Some were better than others, but for the most part it was good.

Then we came back to my house and drank some wine and watched a few episodes of Strangers with Candy. I recently bought the whole series on DVD.

Elle Charlie suggested that I blow off the extra sour cream and just go for the margaritas. My strategy for drinking and WW is to just skip all the extra stuff and go straight for the alcohol. A margarita has 5 points but a shot of tequila (or most liquor) only has 2 points. A glass of wine also has 2 points. Yeah, I've got this all figured out...

Today I drove to Dallas to meet with my friend Nancy. I wish I had taken my camera - she's doing a really cool installation that involves all kinds of stuff - drawing, beads, glitter, chain, stickers, rubber stamps, syringes, razor blades, Barbie shoes, etc. It sounds weird but it's actually quite beautiful.

We had lunch and talked for quite a while. She's going to try to find someone to fix me up with. I was telling her how Trish and I were recently complaining that none of our friends try to fix us up with anybody. Are we completely undate-able? Some of my single friends complain about their friends trying to fix them up all the time, but it never happens to us. Anyway, so she's on the case now.

After lunch I wanted to go visit a couple of galleries nearby but they were closed. So instead I went to the Nasher. I've been wanting to go for so long. It's been open for a couple of years and I drive by it all the time... So I decided that since I was going to drive by it again, that this time I'd actually check it out.

I was a tad bit disappointed. Not in any of the art. It's just so expensive for the amount of work that they have. I had to pay $5 to park, $10 to get in, and I spent maybe 20 minutes there. They did have a great gift shop, though. :-)

OK, I admit that I really was disappointed that they only had two works by women artists. That's inexcusable. Maybe they have more in their collection but they just weren't on display at the time...

I did enjoy the James Turrell piece. It was very simple, conceptual, but also meditative and thought-provoking. It's a structure that you walk into. You go through a lighted hallway (which reminded me of one of his "light tunnel" installations at the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston) and then into a "room" with benches on the sides. You sit back and look up - there's a square hole in the ceiling. It was sprinkling a little, so I watched the gray clouds slowly make their way across the frame. Beautiful.

3 comments:

Jenna said...

I thought about fixing you up with someone, but then I remembered I don't know any men you would want to date. You don't want me to fix you up with my brother, trust me. :)

Deanna said...

As long as the excuse is that you don't know anybody who is good enough for *me* then that's OK...

Anonymous said...

I only know and work with married guys and losers. Or married losers.