Sunday, April 30, 2006

The groovy Groove Squad, grooving...

Well, Sam survived his Arts & Jazz Fest performance. He got excited when we got there and did just fine. He dances a lot better when there aren't a bunch of people watching him, but I guess that's true of everybody.

We got rained on a little that morning but it cleared up around noon and turned out to be a really nice day. Sam went with my mom and stepdad to their lake house and I walked over to Art Six Coffee House for the Denton Craft Mafia sale. I bought a super cool ceramic necklace by Superchica. They had a lot of cool stuff - jewelry, bags, re-made t-shirts (that unfortunately would only look good on skinny people...), and stuff like that. Not a whole lot of stuff, but hip and cool.


Saturday night I went to an opening reception for two friends from TWU, Jennifer Quarles and Luana Aldrete. Jennifer is getting her MFA in ceramics and Luana is graduating with her BFA in painting. That's one of Jennifer's pieces above...

One of the highlights of the evening was when Jennifer thanked her husband Matt for his support during grad school. She gave him a gift - a Detatchable-Leg Larry action figure that she had made, inspired by one of their dogs. He had several extra legs (one for digging, one being attacked by their other dog...), all employing "velcro technology," as Jennifer put it. She made a really cool box, too. I wish I had remembered that I had my camera with me. It was awesome.

Today was cleaning day. I decided to bite the bullet and clean my house. Well, the bathrooms and Sam's room are clean. The rest of the house at least has the big chunks removed... That's all I can manage at this point.

Oh, I almost forgot - I watched The Godfather last night. Marlon Brando was incredible. It was kind of like watching Citizen Kane for the first time - so many pop culture references came from that movie - sleeping with the fishes, an offer he can't refuse, the horse head in the bed, etc. And it also reminded me of watching the Sopranos. The obvious subject matter, but mostly the confusion - half the time I didn't know what was going on. I guess all those old Italian guys look alike to me.

No comments: